Swimming pools are supposed to be fun places to relax in on hot days, but there is a little-known risk that could make the pool one of the most dangerous places to be, and it’s not drowning. Electrocution is a risk in any pool that has electrical appliances near it or electrical components in it like lights.
If you’ve been swimming plenty of times, this may sound bizarre. But it is a real threat. The Consumer Product Safety Commission and Red Cross say that there were about 60 deaths and 50 non-fatal but serious shocks between 1990 and 2003. Pool electrocution is not as rare as you may think.
Pool shocks have happened in Florida and have resulted in major injury and even death. However, you can avoid this risk by taking the right steps both before anyone gets in the pool, and if you see someone being shocked while in the water.